Here is NY1’s coverage of our speakout on Sunday. They also announce Wednesday’s March Against the Health Insurance Industry.
Thursday, October 20th at 6pm – Support the community trying to save St Vincent’s Hospital! Thursday night is the full board meeting to decide on the fate of the St Vincent’s hospital location. People should be there at 6:00 pm so they can sign up to speak! Thursday, 6:00 (Address: P.S. 130, 143 Baxter Street, Auditorium)
Friday, October 21st 3:30pm, March on Verizon in solidarity with CWA and OWS! A group will meet at ZPark at 3:30 and will march to Verizon HQ at 140 West Street at 4pm to rally.
Sunday, October 23rd at 4pm, Healthcare Teach-IN / Speak-OUT at ZPARK. Bring your white coats and signs! Check out this powerful video from last week’s speak out at Washington Sq Park. Stay for our usual 5:30pm planning meeting right after.
Wednesday, October 26th: Get Wall Street out of Healthcare!! Speakout and March Against the Health Insurance Industry! (This action is supported by OWS Direct Action committee.)
Here are the finalized details of our action next week. Please forward widely!
March Against the Health Insurance Industry
4:00pm Open Speakout – share your personal struggles with our healthcare system
4:30pm March Against the Health Insurance Industry
- 4:30pm – Empire Blue Cross Blue Shield / One Liberty Plaza: located across the street from Zuccotti park, Empire is a subsidiary of WellPoint, the largest publicly-traded health insurance company. CEO Angela Braley’s overall compensation is $13.1 million dollars, enough to cover 1455 New Yorkers.
- 5:30pm – WellCare / 110 5th Ave: the for-profit company that administers Medicaid and Medicare Advantage programs in New York and other states. Currently being investigated for fraud with estimates that WellCare illegally siphoned $400 million to $600 million from state health insurance programs for the poor. (1)
- 6pm – St Vincent’s Community Hospital / 12th St & 7th Ave: closed earlier this year due to bankruptcy, St Vincent’s is a casualty of profit-driven insurers and a healthcare system that leaves 50 million Americans uninsured. There are now no hospitals on the westside below 57th st.
Check out this article and videos of us at the march yesterday to Times Square. Doctors for the 99% and PNHP coordinated an amazing action at Washington Square Park just before the march. Kudos to Dr. Steve for the article.
Come to our meeting today at 5:30 to help plan our March against health insurance companies this Friday.
Saturday from 12pm-3pm in Washington Square
- We will be flyering and doing outreach for the March on the Banks and student meetup. We also support the Doctors and Healthcare Professionals for the 99% who will be doing a teach-in there. Email if you’re interested in meeting up.
Sunday at 5:30 is our next meeting:
- At Liberty Square by the big red sculpture (the corner of Cedar and Broadway)
- We will continue to plan for the March on Health Insurance Companies and discuss other actions.
- For now, we are meeting Sundays and Wednesdays at 5:30 at the same location.